I'm a woman

I'm a woman
Photos copyright Laurence Gouault
No reproduction on other media without the photographer's permission.

Tuesday 3 January 2017

One of the best routes, Bernardino Fernandez, by Stevie Haston

 the bottom of Bernardino Fernandez is sublime.

I do a few new routes over the year, but every now and then one comes up that is out of this world. A while ago I did one, and called it Bernardino Fernandez, after a friends grandad who was executed by Franco.  So after a while I thought no, that route is not as big as the story, not as big as the history, not as big a drama. So I have decided to give this important name to an important route!

 I had a big route for this island which for some reason had remained nameless, I guess I might have been secretly waiting for the right name to appear.

The route is up a big pillar facing permanently into the blistering sun. It's really impressive, but some how remains amenable in tec grade at least. I had wondered what to do with it, as if I had left it as it was, it would never get a second ascent, but now I have decided the route and the name require a bit of work, i.e. making it safe so that plenty of people can enjoy it. 

 the top pitch is insane, 58 meters, of mostly vertical, a bit of crack, jugs..
position, position, position.

Any way access by water taxi for the most wonderful day you can imagine, Dropped off on a ledge with lovely colours underneath you, and a towering impossible cliff above. 

Its four pitches, grade 4, 5, 6, 6a+. Thats all folks.